Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Community

I set up this blog months ago, but never really sat down and thought about what I was going to do with it. So here goes (hopefully).

Over the past little while my thoughts have been returning more and more to the concept of community. I have never really considered myself to be much of a community person.

Part of the training and ordination process of the denomination that my wife and I serve with involves living in community with the rest of the class and also with another class for almost 2 years. Although I made some great friends there, I don't think that I really got into the 'community' thing that much.

I used to rationalise this by saying that these years were just something we all had to get through so that we could get on with what we all felt we had been called to do. On days when I didn't really want to be there I would say to my wife that the only thing we all really had in common was that we all just happened to have applied and been accepted at the same time and once we were finished we would all go our own separate ways.

Now, if anybody from those days is reading this then I aplogise for this. Over the past few months and especially over the past week it has dawned on me that what we experienced during those short two years was probably some of the best 'community' living that we have had over the years. During the past week most of us have been sharing via e-mails and although we are distant by the miles it has proved that there is a special bond there. It has led to a blog being set up where we can all come and check in and share with each other as that community we had still really exists in spite of each of our locations. I have also realised that this community is one that can be enjoyed not endured. So I'm catching up with it again and I intend to make the most of it from now on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Songs of Renewal

Powered by Blogger

eXTReMe Tracker
Sally Bloggers
Sally Bloggers
Previous site : Random : Next site : List sites
Powered by PHP-Ring
Click here to join salvationarmy3
Click to join salvationarmy3
BM Counter