Sunday, January 29, 2006

Rabbie Burns


It's a strange thing to admit, but I've probably been to more Burns Suppers since I emigrated to Canada twelve years ago, than I ever did when I lived and grew up in Scotland.

We had the local Legion parade to our church for Remembrance Day last November. During coffee time after the service I got an invitation to their Burns Supper for this year. After listening to me preach they decided that my 'accent' was one they could 'use' for their supper. They said that they had someone in mind for the immortal memory, but that they'd put me on the shortlist just in case. Panic set in, but I couldn't say no.

Fortunately, the person they had in mind, Doctor Matheson, agreed to do the 'memory', even though he had never been to a Burns Supper in his life! He did an excellent job last night, but said he could've done with borrowing my accent. I ended up doing the 'Selkirk Grace', which is only four lines and is pretty much committed to my memory anyway.


The haggis was better than some I've tasted over here, but was nowhere near the quality of Wattie Lobban's.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Songs of Renewal

Powered by Blogger

eXTReMe Tracker
Sally Bloggers
Sally Bloggers
Previous site : Random : Next site : List sites
Powered by PHP-Ring
Click here to join salvationarmy3
Click to join salvationarmy3
BM Counter