Monday, September 04, 2006

Aggressive Christianity - an oxymoron?

In the most recent issue of The Officer magazine Stephen Poxon, an SA officer in the UK, wrote the following in a letter:

"...I struggle quite a bit with what is referred to as aggressive Christianity...the aggressive bit of it sometimes seems to me to be scary and, at worst, off-putting. Can I make a plea for the concept of charming Christianity? On balance, I would prefer to be charmed into the Kingdom of Heaven than pushed there by some well-meaning but charmless aggressor."

I almost wish that I'd written those words. I just find this whole 'aggressive Christianity' thing to be oxmoronic. On another blog (I wish I remember where) I read, where one aggressive type was defending the whole concept, the following words (as close as I can remember): "You don't get it, aggressive Christianity is all about bringing in God's Kingdom by force." Forgive me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Jesus against the whole idea of force (turning the other cheek, loving your enemies, etc)?

The same day that I read the above letter, I read the following quote, by Brian McLaren:

"Human kingdoms advance by force and violence with falling bombs and flying bullets, but God's kingdom advances by stories, fictions, tales that are easily ignored and easily misunderstood. Perhaps that's the only way it can be." (from The Secret Message of Jesus)

Sounds pretty good to me (and less oxymoronic, too)!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Songs of Renewal

Powered by Blogger

eXTReMe Tracker
Sally Bloggers
Sally Bloggers
Previous site : Random : Next site : List sites
Powered by PHP-Ring
Click here to join salvationarmy3
Click to join salvationarmy3
BM Counter